MERLIN’s main aim and purpose is to investigate and demonstrate the viability of an integrated management system to achieve a more sustainable and optimised energy usage in European electric mainline railway systems.
MERLIN will provide an integrated and optimised approach to support operational decisions leading to a cost-effective intelligent management of energy and resources through:
- Improved design of railway distribution networks and electrical systems and their interfaces
- Better understanding of the influence of railway operations and procedures on energy demand
- Identification of energy usage optimising technologies
- Improved traction energy supply
- Understanding of the cross-dependencies between technological solutions
- Improving cost effectiveness of the overall railway system
- Contribution to European standardisation (TecRec)
MERLIN outcomes will also be developed through the application of solutions to realistic scenarios.